Saturday, June 26, 2010

Review: Lowe's Build and Grow Clinic

My kids love helping daddy fix things around the house. They have their own little set of play tools, and they've staked claims on some of daddy's real tools like screwdrivers. In fact, one of my husband's screwdrivers now lives in the belly of my kids' Rocking Horse because one of them was "fixing" it and stuck it in the horse. Hmm...maybe I can use that as a marketing ploy when I go to sell it. "Buy the horse get a screwdriver free!"

I'd learned about Lowe's Build and Grow Clinic a while ago but for some reason couldn't drag my lazy butt out of bed in time to get to one on a Saturday morning. I recently looked into again and when I realized that they were building Monster Trucks this weekend, I made the effort to drag myself and my husband out of bed for it...and boy was it well worth it!

If you have a kid that loves to help fix things or build things then I HIGHLY recommend Lowe's Build & Grow Clinics. If you've never done it before, here's the skinny. First of all, it's free! It's on Saturdays @ 10am - 11am, though it doesn't look like it's every Saturday, more like every other Saturday. You register on their website, print out & sign the waiver and bring it with you. When you show up, they hand your kiddo a Lowe's apron and a building kit for whatever the theme is that day. They have several work areas set up with safety goggles and hammers. (Some may let the kids keep the goggles too I think but I would ask to be sure. The aprons we did get to keep.)

The kits have everything they need to build whatever the theme is for the day...nails, wood, stickers to decorate it, instructions, etc. Since today's theme was Monster Truck, when they were done with it, they each got to take home a wooden, rolling Monster Truck that was about 8" long so it was a good size toy with tiny cardboard cars for them to crush. At the end, when you're done, you take what you built up to the Lowe's employee who gave you the kit and they'll give the kiddo a certificate of completion and a patch for you to sew onto their apron that says they participated in that day's project. We thought it was just a generic patch but it was so cool! It had a picture of a monster truck plowing through mud embroidered on it and it also said, "Lowe's Build and Grow Monster Truck." It reminded me of scout badges lol. They each also got a coupon for a free Jr. Frosty @ Wendy's.




The next one will be this coming Saturday, July 3, 2010 from 10 am - 11 am. If don't already have plans...setting the dog on fire with fireworks, burning your brows off with the grill, etc, check out Lowe's Build and Grow Clinic with the kiddos. This one will be a Ball and Cup Game.

P.S. those of you with young children will get the humor in this.

So we took the kids to Lowe's for the Clinic. We get home, turned on the TV (yeah we're those type of parents) and behold, Handy Manny is on. But wait! There's more! The employee at Lowe's who helped us out? Oh, her name was Kelli. :p

Nope, so not makin' that stuff up.

And if you didn't get that at all, here, this might help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. :)