Thursday, July 1, 2010

With a bang

I know I said I wouldn't make another savings post until next Friday but I couldn't help it. The deal I just scored was way awesome. I was put in charge of procuring lots of ground beef for burgers for my mother in law's birthday party coming up. It's going to be a huge party, which means $$$. For once I put our spendings on a strict budget. We're splitting the cost with my husband's siblings but I wasn't going to let them run amok with our money on the party so I set a limit of just $160 for everything...our share of the venue rental was $60 so that left $100 for food, decorations, and everything else.

Normally I would just hit up Costco and buy stuff in bulk to freeze. Having done enough shopping at Costco, I know that ground beef there is $2.59/lb. There's a great sale going on at a local grocery store for ground beef. It's $1.59/lb so I save $1/lb. I needed at least 15 lbs of beef so I'm guaranteed a savings of at least $15 if I shop the sale.

So now I went, I loaded up, (ended up getting over 21 lbs of ground beef) and I saved. I saved huge! If I would've compared it to the price at Costco, I saved $28. I bought other stuff and produce too of course. Here's what my receipt said:


I saved a smidge more than that because I brought reusable bags with me. The store's system wasn't working right so the cashier just gave me 30 cents cash for my bags. I ended up only paying $40 for $110 worth of groceries! I'm excited! I just started my July savings off with a huge bang! I'm optimistic about July. I hope it pans out well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. :)