Sunday, May 30, 2010

Shopping & homework

I went and took advantage of the Stride Rite 25% off sale today at an outlet mall. I have to be honest, just a few weeks ago, I'd stocked up on a few pairs of shoes for my kids for Fall. I was annoyed that not even a month later I'm met with a 25% off coupon that's good in the outlets too, which is very rare.  Outlets are often excluded from coupons.  Out of the 3 pairs of shoes I bought then, only one was returnable. Two pairs were off their "Back Wall" clearance and the sale was final. I intended to take the one pair back to return them and either buy them back with my coupon or replace them with a different pair.  So I'm standing waiting for the cashier (who all of a sudden disappeared in the middle of my return transaction) and I got a little impatient so I started looking around. I found the exact same pair of Marvel Heroes White/Black sneakers I was returning, on the shelf and I looked at the price.   When I first bought them on May 15, they were $9.99 without any sort of coupon or discounts.  In fact, I only bought them because they were so cheap.  Now those same exact pairs of shoes are $19.99!!!  That's proof that stores do indeed inflate their prices to match and compensate for any promos they have going on.  That is one heck of an inflation...the price doubled, all because of a 25% coupon.  If I were to return those shoes that I paid $9.99 for and buy them back at $19.99, even with my 25% off coupon, I would be paying $14.99 instead of the $9.99 I originally paid. I would be over paying by $5!  That annoyed me.  The cashier was back and started processing my return when I came to this revelation and I immediately told her to stop the transaction, that I was keeping the shoes. 

Admittedly, their coupon promo did work on me. I walked out of there buying 2 more pairs of shoes for my kids...but at a steal.  I bought them each another pair of all leather upper sneakers that were $14.99 for future wear.  (My experience tells me that that is a very good price for Stride Rite shoes.)  Here's how the deal went down:

$14.99 x 2 = $29.98 (the original price of one pair of these sneaks were $29.99)
Here's where I got a lil ninja. :)
The last time I bought shoes there, my receipt had a survey for me to fill out for $5 off my next purchase. I asked the cashier if I could apply that to my order along with my 25% off coupon. She said, "yes." WOOT!
So -
$29.98 - 5 = $24.98
24.98 - 25% (6.245) = $18.73

Yes! I scored two pairs of good quality Stride Rite sneakers for my kiddos for under $20.  That's cheaper than what I would pay at Walmart or Target and these shoes are better quality.

Then, onto the Lego store.  I had to go into the Lego store to get some VIP points credited from my last visit there.  I kind of half expected a bit of a fight to deal with retro credits but it was taken care of no problem whatsoever.  Being that I was with my husband, in a Lego store, there was no way I could've walked out of there without buying something so I scoured around for something cheap.  Then I came upon this:



Yep, that's right. Star Wars Lego on mark down all because the box had a dent on it.  The pieces inside are perfectly fine, but I saved myself a little money by picking a box that's less than perfect over a perfect box.  Besides, my kids would destroy the boxes when we got home anyway so why pay more for it? 

Moral of the story here is, stores do mark up their prices to go with their promos. Do your homework.  Don't judge a book by its cover.  A little imperfection can save you money.

Happy shopping and hope you're enjoying the Memorial Day sales going on out there. Shop wisely.

2 comments:

  1. sweet deals! now if only I could get my son to realize that SR does have some "cool" shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ondrea - SR has a bunch of Toy Story & Marvel super heroes shoes in stock right now if he's still into super heroes. :) They light up too. :D

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers. :)