Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Comedy of Rite Aid

I went over to Rite Aid tonight to score some deals (which I'll mention later) when the funniest thing happened to me.

After I got what I needed, I headed over to the cashier to pay for my stuff. The cashier asked me for my Wellness + card and I handed it to her. She scanned it and handed it back to me then proceeded to scan my purchases. I made sure she scanned my coupons, and silly me, I neglected to do the math in my head beforehand. I had too much on my mind. Nonetheless, all of my coupons rang up and the total looked about right so I didn't think anything of it. I paid for my stuff and waited for my receipt. One of the items I bought should've gotten me a $3 UP reward but it wasn't on my receipt so I asked the cashier...who even asked me to make sure. When she realized that the coupon didn't print, she immediately paged the manager on duty. The manager arrived quickly along with another, younger employee. My cashier explained the situation to him, we all studied the item I bought along with the ad to make sure all was right. This is where the humor kicks in:

The employee that arrived with the manager promptly started giving me a spiel the moment he 'overheard' my cashier mention the UP coupon didn't print.

"There's actually nothing we can do about it, you'll need to call 1-800..." he said.

I looked at his name tag and his title said Associate. Uh, ooook...but your Manager is standing right in front of me, studying my purchase and receipt to actually try to figure out what the problem was. He's providing, oh, you know, customer service? Not customer dismissal. Who the heck are you to disprove him?

I said nothing. I ignored him right after 800 because like I'm going to commit a phone number to my memory while someone rattles it off.

It turns out my Wellness + card didn't scan. My cashier clarified that she did indeed scan the card, and I backed her on it. But wait! There's more! Associate boy wasn't done. "Well sometimes when you press the discount button, it..."

"I didn't press the discount button," my cashier said.

If I wasn't so frazzled, I would've high fived my cashier.

The manager asked for my patience and explained he'd have to refund my entire order, and ring it up again properly. It was a huge pain in the ass and I really felt for the manager and cashier. The whole ordeal was a pain but they got me taken care of and for that, I'm happy. In the end, I saved 33% off my order, and provided me some humor. Ah, to be young, cocky, and to know it all...I'm starting to sound old.

Anyway here are the deals I nabbed:

Kraft Mac n Cheese BOGO
Trident Gum = $.17/ea ($3/3 then used $1 off/3 coupon from this Sunday's coupons, plus $.50 coupon from Rite Aid Video Values and got $1 UP Reward.)
Children's Mucinex $8.99 - $1.50 Rite Aid Video Values coupon, $3 UP Rewards

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. :)